Turn your passion into a career!
Take your love for the outdoors to the next level with our Certificate in Outdoor and Adventure Education.
Turn the outdoors into your classroom and learn skills to get you working in the outdoors. The natural outdoor environment of the central North Island will become your classroom. You will spend approximately two thirds of your time on campus and one third out on adventures.
You will develop personal experience with:
- Sea Kayaking
- Bush Skills
- Mountain Biking
- High Ropes
During this course, you will learn to design, deliver and manage outdoor adventure, recreation and education experiences. You will participate in a broad range of outdoor recreation activities and develop leadership skills in selected pursuits. You will learn about risk and group management, programming for learning outcomes and working in an exciting industry full of diverse career options.
This is a full-time Level 4 Certificate (120 credits). There are no part-time options for this course.
1 year full time, 4 days per week.
Late February to November 2020
Unitec campus Mount Albert (This is not a Unitec course).
The Mount Albert train station is a 15 minute walk from our campus.
At the end of this course you will have:
- A qualification listed on the New Zealand qualification framework that is industry recognised.
- Industry connections and relationships through our engagement with other outdoor organisations and your involvement and work experience.
- Two industry qualifications through the New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association (NZOIA) at Outdoor Leader level.
- Plenty of personal experience as well as experience leading others during the course.
In order for you to learn in and experience the outdoors safely you will need to be clothed and equipped
adequately. AdventureWorks will provide some equipment for the course, however students will be expected to have the following minimum personal gear:
- Long-sleeve thermal tops
- Thermal leggings
- Fleece or woollen jumper
- Waterproof (not water resistant) jacket
- Sleeping bag (not just for summer)
- Sleeping mat
- Head torch
- Tramping boots
- 60-70L tramping pack
We can assist in the purchasing of any equipment through our pro deals
We would love to give you more information and answer questions.
Drop your details below and we will send more detailed information about the course and the industry.